Why Hire a Doula
Birth is by its nature a life-changing event. Whether you are giving birth in a hospital, birth center, or at home, you will have skilled medical professionals such as nurses, midwives, and doctors who are focused on making sure you have a safe birth. But many parents in labor find that no matter how much they have prepared or how many medical practitioners are present, it is reassuring to have a knowledgeable person at the birth who is accountable only to them.
Doulas are professionals trained in providing emotional, physical, and informational support during labor. They are not responsible for the medical outcomes, but rather for supporting the laboring mother and her partner. For moms birthing naturally, doulas work with the husband or partner to provide massage, heat/cold, aromatherapy, and positions that can help ease the pain of contractions and facilitate the progression of labor. When the parents want to use medical interventions or when things don’t go exactly as planned (which they usually don’t!), doulas are there to help the couple understand and consider their choices in real time.
Having a doula has been shown in numerous studies to improve medical outcomes in birth, including:
- 50% reduction in need for Cesarean delivery
- 25% shorter labor
- 60% fewer requests for epidural anesthesia
- Nearly double the rate of successful breastfeeding
Why People Choose Ohana Doulas
We help you make the choices in birth that are right for you. Every couple has different hopes for their birth. Some want to experience a natural birth. Others hire us because they plan to get an epidural or other medication and want a knowledgeable support person with them at all times during the labor. For us, a successful birth is one in which the baby is healthy and the parents feel that they were supported and empowered to make the choices that were right for them throughout the process.
We partner with husbands and partners. We see our role as supporting both the mother and her husband, partner, or other support people. In our prenatal sessions, we explore the extent and ways in which the husband or partner wishes to be involved in the labor process. In the birth room, we work side-by-side with partners to support the laboring mother together. Dads and new grandparents give us reviews that are as glowing as the ones from their partners and daughters.
We are experienced. We have been to a lot of births and seen many, many babies delivered. We know from both training and experience what techniques tend to work to ease a particular kind of pain or to ease a particular anxiety. Jocelyn and Autumn are experienced in working with: first-time parents, parents who already have other children, women who have conceived through in vitro fertilization, Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC) clients, and many others. We welcome families of all types, including gay and lesbian parents.
Our doula package is coupled with concierge service before and after birth and includes:
- Complimentary initial conversation via email, phone, or in person to discuss our services and determine whether we are the right fit for you
- 1-2 comprehensive prenatal meeting(s) to discuss in depth your pregnancy history, birth preferences, and other information that will help prepare you for the birth and help us to provide the best support to you
- Unlimited 24/7 phone and email consultation during your pregnancy from the time you hire us
- Attendance at your labor and delivery, including emotional, physical, and informational support and attendance in your home if desired
- Postpartum visit to help with breastfeeding, birth recovery, sleep issues, feeding, other questions
- Breastfeeding counseling session conducted by Autumn, a Certified Lactation Counselor, for those who need added breastfeeding support
- Unlimited 24/7 phone and email consultation after birth until your baby is 3 months old
Cost: The cost for our package is $1200.
Many Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) and Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) will cover all or part of Ohana doula services. We can provide you with an itemized receipt you can submit directly to your insurance carrier for reimbursement. In addition, we offer a sliding scale payment system based on income, so please contact us if you are interested in services and would like to discuss discounted pricing.
We serve clients delivering at hospitals and birth centers in Seattle and on the Eastside including:
Swedish Medical Center – First Hill
747 Broadway, Seattle, WA 98122
Swedish Medical Center – Ballard
5300 Tallman Ave NW, Seattle, WA 98107
Swedish Medical Center – Issaquah
751 NE Blakely Dr, Issaquah, WA 98029
UW Medical Center
1959 NE Pacific St, Seattle, WA 98195
1035 116th Ave NE, Bellevue, WA 98004
Evergreen Medical Center
12040 NE 128th St, Kirkland, WA 98034
Valley Medical Center
400 S 43rd St, Renton, WA 98055
Center for Birth
1500 Eastlake Ave E, Seattle, WA 98102
Puget Sound Birth Center – Kirkland
13128 Totem Lake Blvd NE Ste 101, Kirkland, WA 98034
Puget Sound Birth Center – Renton
4300 Talbot Rd S Ste 402, Renton, WA 98055
We serve clients delivering at home in Seattle or on the Eastside with a Licensed Midwife or Certified Nurse Midwife.