Ohana childbirth classes are designed to cover the information most important to expecting parents as they prepare for their upcoming birth and the beginning of parenthood. Some childbirth classes offered by other organizations cover primarily natural pain management. Others, including most hospital-based classes, focus primarily on the medical side of birth. Ohana childbirth classes provide in-depth coverage of both natural birth techniques and medical interventions because we believe that parents are best prepared to make the decisions that are best for them — both before birth and during labor — when they understand their full range of options.
As of September 2015, Ohana Childbirth Classes in Evanston are now being taught by Ohana team member Grace Lombardo through her business Diamond Doula Care. Please visit the Diamond Doula Care website or contact Grace for more information at email@example.com.
- Physical, emotional, and logistical preparation for labor
- How to know when to go to the hospital (or to call your midwife if you are delivering at home)
- What to expect at each stage of labor and delivery
- Natural approaches for pain management including positions, breathing, relaxation, and massage
- Medical approaches for pain management, including epidurals and systemic drugs
- Explanation of medical interventions and procedures, including inductions, Cesarean sections, forceps and vacuum deliveries, etc.
- Basic newborn care
Ohana classes draw from a variety of approaches and incorporate Lamaze, Bradley Method, Birthing From Within, and Hypnobirthing techniques.